Sony HXR-NX100 Overview
The HXR-NX100 NXCAM Professional Handheld Camcorder from Sony brings high-quality performance, adaptability, and ease of use to a compact, handheld body. The camcorder features a single Exmor R sensor with Full HD 1920×1080 resolution, Sony G lens with 12x optical zoom range, and a 24x Clear Image Zoom. The integrated zoom lens features individual lens control rings for focus, iris, and zoom. The lens can be used in either full-auto mode with servo control, or as a completely manually operated lens.
The camera supports storing up to 6 picture profiles and allows you share profiles between multiple NX100 camcorders. The camera also supports Sony’s Slow and Quick Motion for shooting HD video at variable frame rates. Recording to a variety of formats, frame rates and codecs, the camcorder supports the XAVC S codec recording Full HD video at up to 59.94p, AVCHD 2.0 up to 59.94p, and DV for SD video. Your footage is recorded to media via 2 x SD memory card slots. You can choose to record simultaneously to both cards or use the relay mode which switches recording automatically to the second memory card when the first one is full. The two card slots can be controlled independently from two separate record buttons. 2 x 3-pin XLR audio inputs support line, mic, and mic + 48 V (phantom power) for using professional microphones. The camera also includes IR capability for shooting in extremely dim lighting conditions as well as date/time stamp functionality.
- 1″ Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- The HXR-NX100 incorporates a 1.0-type Exmor R CMOS sensor with 14.2 million effective pixels, which is approximately the same size as Super16mm film frame. The R designation signifies that this is a backside illuminated sensor, which places the circuitry behind the photosites, allowing more light to reach the sensors and resulting in greater low light sensitivity.
- Depth of Field
- The 1.0-type offers more shallow depth of field than 1/2.88-type or smaller sensors.
- Sony G Lens with 12x Optical Zoom, 24x Clear Image Zoom
- The HXR-NX100 is supplied with a fixed 12x 29mm wide-angle Sony G lens. The 12x optical zoom can be doubled to 24x with Clear Image Zoom, and the Digital Extender function can double this range again, up to 48x zoom.
- Frame Rate Flexibility
- The camcorder records using the AVCHD 2.0 codec for Full HD 1920×1080 resolution video at frame rates of 24p, 30p, 60i, and 60p. The camcorder also offers 720/60p AVCHD capture, 2x slow motion and 60x quick motion recording, as well as standard definition DV recording. The two SD card slots enable simultaneous or relay recording.
- Lens Control
- The three lens rings enables smooth, natural adjustment of focusing, zooming, and iris control. It can also be used in full-auto mode or completely manual for maximum creative control.
- Built-In Filters
- The HXR-NX100 is equipped with a ND Filter function, allowing you to choose four conventional mechanical ND filter positions (Clear, 1/4ND, 1/16ND and 1/64ND) for better exposure and depth of field control).
- Media Slots
- The HXR-NX100 is equipped with two memory card slots, one of which is for SDHC/SDXC cards only, while the other slot is compatible with SDHC/SDXC and Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2)/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo cards. Please note that, because of the data rate and file structure required for XAVC S recording, you must use a separately available Class 10-rated SDXC media card to record XAVC S.
Two media slots can be used to record in either “SIMUL” or “RELAY” mode. “SIMUL” mode permits simultaneous recording to two memory cards, while “RELAY” mode automatically switches recording from the first to the second memory card when the first is full.
You can set up the two Start/Stop buttons on the HXR-NX100, one on the grip and one on the camcorder body, to independently start and stop recording on different memory cards while recording in “SIMUL” mode.
- Multi-Interface Shoe
- The MI Shoe expands your options to use accessories without cables, such as optional HVL-LBPC Video Light or the UWP-D wireless microphone series.
- EVF and LCD Viewfinder
- The HXR-NX100 incorporates a 0.24-type 1550K dots EVF and 3.5-type 1550K dots LCD.
- Multi-Format Recording
- The HXR-NX100 records AVCHD and DV, which are suitable for conventional workflow, and newly implemented XAVC S 50Mbps, which realizes better image quality.
- Picture Profiles
- You can fine-tune the look of movies before shooting by adjusting up to 99 parameters such as gamma, knee, black level, color model/level/phase and more. Adjusted parameters can be saved along with other settings as a profile, and up to six profiles can be stored for later recall.
You can copy the settings from one HXR-NX100 to another HXR-NX100 so that user can shoot with multiple cameras in the same settings. The picture profiles only work with the same model of camera.